For anyone who regularly hits the gym – having a monster chest is usually a goal. Everyone is familiar with the three more popular variations of the bench press (flat, incline, decline). While these are great exercises to build a bigger chest – I want to focus on a less used exercise that will absolutely help you blast through plateau’s and see increased definition in your chest.
I always incorporate Smith Machine exercises into my workout routine. An always underutilized piece of equipment, one of the benefits of the Smith machine is that you do not have to worry about having poor form as the range of motion is fixed. This comes in especially helpful for bench press work where you can focus all your efforts on moving the weight. For more info on the benefits of the Smith Machine, check out this link.
Wide-Grip Flat Bench Press on Smith Machine
- Laying flat on the bench, grab the bar as far apart as possible. You want to be doing an amount of weight that you find easy to control, as the purpose of this exercise is high volume repetitions as opposed to lower volume with heavy weight.
- When you do a repetition you want to do 2 seconds on the negative part, 1 second hold at the bottom of the rep, and 2 seconds on the way back up.
- Do 5 sets of 15 repetitions.
This volume intense workout will leave your chest numb. It has definitely helped me see gains and increased definition in my chest. However, there is another piece of equipment that will make this workout even more intense!
I came across Fat Gripz on Amazon and was somewhat skeptical, as I have never saw anyone using them in all my years in the gym. However, Fat Gripz had over 1000 reviews and a 4.5/5 star rating. The comments affirmed that this was a superior product that could enhance my workouts. I ordered Fat Gripz and now use them with almost every exercise I do. When it comes to the wide-grip Smith Machine bench press – this thick grip only adds to the intensity and burn of the exercise. It left my chest sore days later, and I knew I had found something to build on.
- Try 5×15 of the Wide-Grip Flat Bench Press on Smith Machine
- Use the 2-1-2 second count for each repetition
- Use Fat Gripz to enhance this workout
- Do 1-2 times a week as part of your chest workout routine
I have added two YouTube videos below that show you how to properly perform the exercise. Enjoy this workout and the gains that will come from it!